Friday, March 20, 2009

Hanging with my gnomies

Erin, this one is for you....

Hank HATES gnomes. I mean Hates them. When we were getting to know each other one of his questions was "do you like yard art?" Little did I know then he really meant "Do you have gnomes in your yard?" If he had his way this is what he would do with all the gnomes of the world....A gnome Gitmo if you will.

Well, my sister Erin and her dear husband, Chip love to figure out what gets under your craw then they peck away at it much like a chicken pecking your eyes out. Since Hank's hatred for the little magical elf came to light they have torn pictures out of magazines and put them on the fridge, bought a gnome in a box at B&N bookstore, and wrapped a little garden gnome holding a Christmas wreath and placed it ever so gently under our tree one year. It has gotten so bad Hunter & Roz have begun texting pictures of gnomes to him. Dang kids and their unlimited texting. No disciple and no respect for their elders!

Jane, never to be outdone gave Hank a t-shirt for his bday that said the "Slowly the garden gnomes are stealing my sanity." Now Hank loves that shirt and wears it quite often. Never has a statement been more true.

There is a point to this, I promise. So, when I was PG we went to OKC to spend Christmas with the Miles gang. Hank, being good natured, bought three colorful garden gnomes and began hiding them in the least suspecting places around Erin's house. One was in the kitchen and I forget where the others wound up. Knowing Hank in the bathroom on the toilet.

This weekend Kenyon discovered the gnomes that had been tucked away in the garage for several years now. Hank pulled them out and let her play with them in the front yard. He called me outside so I could witness our child holding the gnomes by the tip of their pointy little heads and making them dance. Then she would gently push them over and say "night night" The third she would cradle in her arms and pet as if to get it to go to sleep.



She kept referring to them as "My babies". It was pretty sweet. But not sweet enough to leave them in the front yard for decoration.

















I really don't know what he has against them? Travelocity has been able to make a go of having a spokesgnome. They are pretty cute, especially when they are trying to make you laugh at breakfast.

1 comment:

Amy said...

She is so cute! Love the gnomes. I hope to see Hank in that shirt one day.