Sunday, January 25, 2009

First haircut....

Snip, Snip,. that will be $16.95. Would you like to buy some product? I fell victim to the pressure. Kenyon's hair was beginning to look like a goat chewed on it. Endearing as it was she needed a trim. Unfortunately I suffered from wrong thinking as Hank likes to say, I didn't trust that I could stick a bowl on her head and trim it myself. After all it was good enough for me as a kid.


Of course I kept taking the scissors to my hair and whacking my bangs off so Mom kept having to cut it shorter and shorter. Anyway, last Sunday off we went to Cool Cuts for her first haircut. She did very well. She drove that red fire truck like she was going to a fire at Mrs. O'Leary's barn. I am glad it was attached to the floor.

She sat pretty still and watched Dora on the video while Kim trimmed her hair. Afterwards we got a cute Polaroid (even though I took 20 pictures and video) set inside a nice commemorative card along with a few clippings of hair.
When I got up to the register to pay Kim expertly handed me some leave in conditioner that smelled like apples. She said, "This is the detangler that will help her hair." In my mind as I forked over a total of $29 bucks for a haircut on a 18 month old I am thinking, "Did I say I wanted conditioner?" Hell, I don't even pay that much for a cut and a eyebrow wax.

I guess I was overwhelmed by the moment; standing there watching my baby morph into a little girl right before my eyes. Hank was seated a bit of a distance a way came over to me as I was getting misty-eyed. I wistfully said she wasn't a baby anymore. He said in his ever practical way that burst my bubble on a regular basis, "It is just some hair". Ah, men....it will take him until she is 16 to realize she isn't a baby anymore. Just some hair, yeah right.

2 comments:

Amy said...

She's so cute!
Jeff was much more attached to Jules' hair than I was... even though he convinced me to do the cut.

Anonymous said...

Conor HATES HATES haircut. We had tears and tantrums yesterday like I was stabbing the poor child.