Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Art of Cinnamon Toast


We had cinnamon toast this weekend. It was good, but not as good as Mom used to make. I was trying to educate Hank on the finer points of toast making. To make the best cinnamon toast in the world I have decided you HAVE to have a gas oven. Electric does the job, but the sugar doesn't form that crust that cracks when you bite into it. That is why my next house WILL have a gas oven.

At the Pasadena house growing up we had a huge gas oven with the separate broiler pan. Now that was an oven! Whether steak, burgers or toast the flames would hit just the right way...perfection.

When making cinnamon toast don't go spend a bunch of money on artisan bread, just plain old sandwich bread is best. IN my youth I am sure it was white bread, but now that fiber and heart health is important I use whole wheat.

Next you have to have a good thick layer of margarine. Butter is too high brow for the job. Besides it is hard and breaks the bread. Then you have to sprinkle an even layer of cinnamon on. Don't go to the field of Africa or wherever cinnamon comes form to get it a 69 cent bottle from Walmart will do. Not too much or you get bitter toast which only rivals bitter beer face.

Now for the most important step....The Sugar. Plain white sugar is the only thing that will work. The sugar should be thicker than the cinnamon, sprinkled evenly, but not so thick that the butter won't mix with the sugar. You have to have the perfect balance and blend.

Don't leave it in the broiler too long or you will have scraped toast, which is another post in itself (sorry Mom). Leave it just long enough to turn golden brown on the edges, and with crisp, shiny sugar crust in the middle.

To this day cinnamon toast remains a household favorite. It reminds me of the comforts of home. It can warm the coldest morning. It makes a kid of any age feel special. I remember the first time I made it for Sara, having never had cinnamon toast before, after one bite you would have thought I gave her the moon and the stars wrapped in the sun. A number of years later she still lights up when I ask if cinnamon toast and hot chocolate is good for breakfast this morning.

This morning Hank walked into the kitchen after I pulled the toast out of the oven and said, "Something sure smells good!"

Just like my mom used to make. Thanks mom.

2 comments:

PamelaKRose said...

Yummy! You are welcome to come over to our house any morning you'd like :)

Anonymous said...

good lord give Martha a run for her money why doncha