Thursday, April 9, 2009

An Open Letter to My Husband On Our Anniversary

Four years ago today I walked down the path to begin a new life with you. I chose you then and I get up every day and choose you all over again. You are my heart and my soul.

Today I pause to reflect on all the reasons I love you so much. I love you for the father you are. When you are studying and Kenyon runs up to you with a book you take the time to sit with her and read. You know that is a moment you won’t get back. I love when you and Sara sit at the dining table, heads together working on the latest electronics project. You are so patient explaining to her the wiring and why the green goes with the green.


I love you for being my best friend. You make me laugh until I have to run to the bathroom. When we act out the Three Stooges or when you don’t mind that I quote the Little Rascals I love you even more.

I love that you want to continue learning. I see how challenging it is to balance work, family, and school. You may not always feel you get it right, but you keep trying; I can see it matters to you. I admire that. Staying up late to study, quietly sneaking in bed trying not to wake me knowing you have to get up in a few hours and do it all over again.

I love that we share our thoughts on the world, what we want for our daughters, and how we can continue to nurture our family. You are a man who was meant to raise smart, responsible, strong girls to womanhood. You offer kindness and love tempered with toughness and savvy that will see them through the dark times. You are their compass.



I love that you garden. A willingness to plant the seeds and tend the crops is a direct correlation to our relationship. You get that it take time to build and nurture a life-long commitment. You remind me over and over again to be patient. Blooms don’t happen overnight. It warms me to see you walk the garden each morning or each night keeping vigil over the tiny seedlings' development. You are the sentry of our family; always on watch.

Your concoctions in the kitchen and in the garage demonstrate to me over and over an adventurous side that I often forget to explore. You remind me seriousness is overrated and to appreciate the thrill of the unknown.


As you stated when you proposed, it has not always been easy, but having you by my side has made the rough times smoother and the good times that much sweeter. Thank you for the love and understanding you so freely give unconditionally. I love you with everything that I am, and all that I have. I look forward to a lifetime of choosing you.

My love always,
Sue

1 comment:

PamelaKRose said...

What a lovely letter Susan. Happy Anniversary!